Thursday, May 17, 2012

Purple Peanuts Japanese Cafe - Hit and Miss

620 Collins St  
Melbourne, VIC 3000

I have heard much of this cafe and decided to try out the food at different times of the day. My experience was pretty average. Some dishes were delicious - some fell short to expectations.

Rice ball salad

 The rice ball salad looked really delicious, this was my first dish I tried from the cafe. It is unfortunate that it was a clash of flavours. The potato mash did not go  with the rice salad. And the random veggies with the rice ball made me question the choices in making this dish work.








 The next visit, I brought my friends here and I decided to try the chicken curry - which was done beautifully and left me wanting more. I would prefer it with brown rice instead of white rice. The miso soup that I ordered with had generous chunks of vegetables.

Then I brought my partner here during their lunch period which was really busy. He ordered a beef soba and miso soup. The beef soba tasted average. What was disappointing was how the miso soup was served. The waiter placed a spoon in the bowl and it's price tag was stuck at the bottom. My partner only noticed the sticker on his spoon when he was done with the soup. :( Eww.

I ordered a chicken teriyaki, it was delicious. It came with brown rice and salad yum! I would like my chicken less charred - I do understand that the charred bits add to the flavour.


Chicken curry

Beef soba

Chicken teriyaki

























Overall rating: 6/10

Ambience: 5/5

Service: 4/5

Food: 3.5/5 Purple Peanuts Japanese Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I went to this place for a valuable meal for yesterday's tea.

    You get served for 9 Dollars and they do not cook food in authentic way.

    But the food was average and its not filling- Teriyaki Chicken sauce in few boneless chicken slices.. Sushis tasted frozen

    The waiter and person who cashes in this place has no knowledge about foood.

    No Air conditioning. and the floor is filled with dust..

    Please stay away people..

    ReplyDelete